Thursday, April 22, 2010

work wisdom nuggets

So I haven't been writing quite as much recently. Why? Well, everytime I sit down to the blog, unfortunately the topic that is often at the forefront of my thoughts is work. And I make a policy of not talking about work on the blog. Which is a really good thing. Trust me.

I will however say a few things that I have learned that I think are good nuggets of wisdom:
1. Never make the mistake of relating self worth to your job. It is important to know your own strengths, skills and value for yourself. If you know that, you will never depend on someone else's praise to lift you up, or to be taken down by other's misaligned values.
2. Success is not just a word to be used in the workplace. It applies to all areas of your life. To me success is defined on how well I do all my roles...mom, wife, employee.... not just one of them.
3. You can't change other people. You can only change how you respond.
4. Not everything that happens to you is deserved, whether it be good or bad. Life does not work on a simple or straightfoward rewards and punishment system.

No comments: