Sunday, February 21, 2010

Coupons are awesome

Ok, sad confession. I love coupons.

No, I haven't always been this way. In fact, BC (before children) we not only didn't have a food budget, we really didn't even look at the price of items. I would have failed miserably at The Price is Right, because I just bought what we needed without giving any thought to cost. We spend a ridiculous amount on food for just the two of us. I will say that there were some perks to that. Lots of lovely imported cheeses, organic anything and everything, etc.

But, alas, the children entered our lives and so did a food budget. I am not complaining. It has actually made me realize how much money we wasted before. And the discovery of certain things like the fact that store bought granola is a complete racket. How easy is it to buy the oats and other ingredients and make it yourself? Tastes better, makes a lot more, and you save money!

But back to the topic at hand. Coupons. And what makes coupons fun? Super Double coupon week at Harris Teeter! They will double any coupon up to $1.98. Which means my $1.50 off coupon is
now worth $3 off! I truly enjoy watching my total decrease as they scan each coupon in . It even could be argued that my 3 foot long receipt is a badge of couponing honor. The best part is looking at the bottom of the receipt to see what has been saved. Today: saved $25 with VIC specials, and another $25 with coupons. Approximately 33% savings on total bill. Yes. I rock. Ok, maybe not, but I don't care, it makes me happy.

No comments: