Sunday, September 14, 2008

We can't do it all, but we can do better.

I have recently finished reading a few books of mother's memoirs. I really wanted to like them. I think its great that we are finally seeing some books about the true experience of motherhood. 

But, I sort of have a gripe about them. It seems that there is a pendulum swing from the "Super Mommy" era of women feeling they have do it all and not being able to complain about it. And I think the pendulum has swung just a bit too far. 

I am all for admitting that we can't do it all. But, I also believe we have to do the best we can. And honestly do the best we can. However, the author of these books, and some other writings I have seen lately are saying more of "I can't be a perfect mom, but because a lot of the right things to do for my kids is too hard, I am just going to take the easy way out and say it's ok."

It's not ok. It's not ok to let a 2 month old baby cry it out, just because you want more sleep. It's not ok to let a baby hang out in a bouncy chair all day because you want to paint the walls. It's not ok to give up on breastfeeding because you want to go away for a weekend and not pump. 

So many claim that they want the best for their child. But, what they really want is the best for their child, as long as it doesn't inconvenience them too much. 

No comments: