Saturday, March 27, 2010

You can have it all, just not all at once.

I find this to be so true in parenthood. And actually, I don't really want it "all." But working full time and a being a parent, particularly I find in being a mom, is such a tough juggling act. There are the daily struggles of keeping a good balance, but there are also the "bigger picture" struggles.

There are sacrifices I have made along the way so that I could be the mom I want to be. I have passed up job opportunities that would allow me higher pay and allow me to use my abilities more because the hours would have meant additional child care and less time with my kids. I have held my tongue in certain situations where BC (before children) I would not have, because I didn't want to jeopardize my position. I ultimately want to support my family, and be a good mom, and sometimes work goals have to come second to that.

I do believe as well that there is definitely still discrimination against moms although no one would admit it, and anyone would have a hard time proving it. As disappointing as all that can be at times, at the end of the day, I know what is most important. I will never regret any missed career opportunity if it means that I was a better mom to my kids.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When you look back at your life, no job will make you more proud.